Last week I found out that the job I had for over 30 years will likely soon be over. Greg (my boss) and I were blind sided. The school we work at found a company that will pay for the renovation they want to happen, so Pioneer is out and Sodexo is in. I am over the shock of it, finally, but as soon as someone stops to say good-bye I tear up. Perhaps it is a good thing a pandemic has hit and so few people are on campus!
In cleaning out a drawer, I found pictures from years ago of student workers. We have had so many students pass through our dining hall. When I got home I started looking at pictures of some of the quilts I’ve made for the students that made an impact with me.
One of the first was a Butterfly quilt from a Debbie Mumm pattern. I actually made it twice. As pictured, for Katie, and in purples, for Lindsey.
One of the early ‘disappearing’ patterns from Missouri Star Quilt Company was the Disappearing Nine Patch. I used patriotic prints for a quilt for Greg.
For Joni, I had a new book called Scrap-Basket Sensations. All made out of Jelly Rolls, another thing new to the time. I bought the book for one pattern, and have yet to make it! I made Island Chain, but instead of using the island batiks pictured, I used Kansas Trouble fabrics, as that was the color palette I loved back then and all I bought. I made it over a spring break and loved the pattern so much, I bought 3 more of her books!
It was Snickers approved.
Using yet more Kansas Troubles, I made a quilt for Gina using the pattern Jacob’s Ladder. By switching the color placement of the blocks, it formed a cool pattern. An old block called for an old quilting motif as well so I had quilted it using the Baptist Fan pattern.
I made a quilt for Seth that is from a favorite designer, Carrie Nelson. I modified it for size from the pattern, but it is called Tire Tracks!
Gone to Pieces quilt shop in Kimball offered a Block of the Month program one year that I admired every time I went to the store. I finally signed up to participate in it. So many stars! I enjoyed individual blocks, but it was so much work. In the end, I loved it! But I had already promised it to Natasha. It was really hard to give away.
Long post, so one more. Jeanette and I went to Des Moines for an AQS quilt show. We also took a few classes. One was using a new ruler to help sew diamonds. In the class, I of course used Kansas Troubles 🙂 but MJ liked red and purple. So that is what I used. I was doubtful, but I think it turned out pretty well.
Every time I look at the pictures, I think of the student I made the quilt for, and am thankful for the time that I had with them. I had many good years at NCU and met many wonderful people, a few of them quilt worthy. 🙂